Styrofoam boxes are one of the most popular packaging solutions used across different industries to keep fragile items safe. Their ability to withstand impacts, insulation, and versatility makes them the perfect choice for shipping everything from fruits and vegetables to computers, medical devices, and electronics.
Read on to find out how to choose the right size and type of foam box for your needs.
Types of Foam Packaging Solutions
Based on the types of material, here are the types of foam packaging:
- Expanded Polystyrene(EPS): EPS is reasonably rigid and is mainly used for blocking and bracing the contents. It’s also the cheapest foam option in the market. Polystyrene boxes offer outstanding thermal insulation and shock resistance.
- Polyethylene(PE): PE is fabricated from foam planks that are 1 to 3 inches thick. It’s mainly used for cushioning and vibration dampening. PE foam is priced slightly higher than EPS.
- Cross-linked Polyethylene(XLPE): Cross-linked Polyethylene is one of the best and most expensive foam options. It’s got a smooth feel, and its density makes it perfect for protecting highly-polished surfaces. One of its best features is that it doesn’t absorb water.
Based on the purpose and shapes:
- Foam Pouches: Foam pouches are used for small, fragile items like figurines or delicate dishware.
- Foam Sheets: Foam sheets cover up the vulnerable parts of furniture and wrap up other fragile items like dishes, mirrors, and picture frames.
- Foam Inserts: Foam inserts are smaller sections of foam used to keep the items from moving during transportation. Snuggly fitting them inside the packages helps keep the contents secure.
- Foam Boxes: Foam boxes of various sizes, thicknesses, and materials are used to transport materials that are fragile or require thermal insulation. In addition to transporting medicines and fragile electronics, special foam boxes have been developed to transport perishable items like fruits and vegetables like zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, tomato, grape, beans, corn, and so much more.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Size and Type of Foam Box
- Purpose: Whether the product you wish to transport is perishable, fragile, or temperature-sensitive determines the kind of foam box suitable for your packaging.
- Size: The size of the foam box is determined based on the product’s size and how many products you wish to transport in a single container.
- Thickness of Foam: The thickness of the foam depends on the level of protection, insulation, and weight-bearing capacity required for the product.
- Type of Foam: All the foams mentioned above have different characteristics, like insulation and strength. Select one that’s most suitable for your requirements.
- Additional Features: Make sure you figure out all additional features your packaging requires beforehand, like a lid or a built-in handle.
- Sustainability: Reduce your environmental impact with the help of foam boxes made from recycled or recyclable materials.
Broken products and damaged containers can give your company a bad reputation. All the information above should help you make an informed decision, but if you are still concerned about what kind of foam packaging solutions you should use, why not seek the guidance of the experts at Omega Packaging?
Our experts have spent years in the industry pioneering styrofoam boxes and vegetable boxes that help our clients keep their perishables safe during transportation.
Contact us today to keep your products safe and secure in transit.